Wednesday, May 30, 2007

cases for this week...

It is very impressive to see at what level of distinction that some libraries have their RSS feeds. Some are very particular and have RSS for each genre and or group of interest like that Tacoma Public Library. I also found a drawback from the Tacoma Public Library's page, and it had to do with its presentation. It had information on RSS and what it can do, etc at the bottom after the long list. If I was a patron looking at that page, I might be lost, and on a usability scale, it's not too friendly as you have to scroll down low to find more information, which is really pertinent for a new person desiring to know more about RSS.

There was only one library that had an RSS function for personal account updates which was that Hennepin Public Library. I think some organizations might have this function already installed through email, as I have experienced that in the past with previous academic libraries, but it would also be nice to see the opportunity to see it come from RSS. The University of Oklahoma even had an RSS for job opportunities which I also found neat and useful if you were thinking of working there. It would save the user from going back to check all the time to see if a job has been posted.

2 comments:

Qingyi said...

I also think that an RSS for job opening is a good idea. But I am wondering if they could let subscribers setup their preference on positions. For instance, if I am only interested in entry level positions, I don't want to get tons of ads on director or head positions.

Acadian_jl said...

Good point Qingyi, but in reality, there are usually more entry positions that head/director positions anyways, so I doubt that you'd be bombarded with too many higher ranking positions, however it's a good point, and would be nice too see an RSS feature that could delimit to only feeds that fit your profile, i.e. entry level, etc.