Saturday, July 21, 2007

Cases for this week...

Again I know I'm a bit behind the schedule, but here goes...

I looked at the cases in reverse order, the first one was the UWO community live journal. I think that it is a great idea. It's a good place for students/people to communicate activities, questions, and interests about UWO. Now this is sort of going on a side point, but I'm going somewhere with this. A few of the posts were from incoming students, looking for apartments, student cards/bus pass, etc. Now when I was playing on Facebook, there's a whole section dedicated to people going to a new school (university)...now I wonder how this is being delt on that site. I looked up the community size on the Live Journal and it was a decent size, but I wonder how active is it? Facebook, it would seem that it would be easier to note the activity levels, etc. I am just making a comparison, and wondering how effective, each one is. I haven't gone or joined the Facebook/UWO new students, so I don't know, but I wonder how that network works.

The MySpace and Teens list on the wiki...I scrolled through the list and picked Pickering Public Library, figuring it might possibly be Canadian. I then looked at their site, and it seemed really outdated, and not very used. I am not sure what I can say about it. Some of the content seemed to date back to January of 2007. This makes me wonder, did they just give up, or not try to improve their site, etc. So many questions, but what to do, where to go? The idea of regrouping a list on a Wiki is a great idea. Makes me wonder if the people behind the Pickering Space, know about their presence on the Wiki. If so, why not look at other libraries that seem to have a Space that works. It is good to sometimes see what other people or groups are doing.

Jer

3 comments:

stephanie said...

Hey Jer! Long time no see...
I think it's really important to know how these networks work.. that was a good point. If we want to really master social networking, we have to be out there learning about how the users are actually making use of the technology/programs. So often designers think they know how a space will be used, only to find out that it's serving a totally different purpose. I'm sure the same can be said of these facebook/myspace sites. So we need to be diligent in keeping up!

Unknown said...

It really is crucial that SN profiles/posts be kept current. Without the ability to maintain regular, fresh postings and message responses in a timely fashion, libraries' reputations will suffer. Perhaps the equivalent of the email "out of office" reply is useful here: an "away from profile [until date x, for x amount of time] due to staffing change, illness, vacation." Something that gives friends/other residents an awareness of what's going on and when they can check back.

Unknown said...

whoops! spirit = Shannon.